Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Neighbor Totoro

Check out this friendly spirit of the forest Zion and I happened upon whilst trekking through the woods at Larrabee State Park today.I made the egregious error of talking to B about Halloween a full 2 months early. Woops. He was absolutely thrilled at the prospect of dressing up as Totoro, (his current favorite character) and absolutely devastated that he had to wait for his costume. So, to tide him over, I put Totoro's face onto an old hoodie.
It's just felt and a pair of buttons, all stuff I had around. This is the kind of work I'd have normally done by hand, but since I've been getting so friendly with my machine lately, I gave it a go and it totally paid off. I was able to do this whole thing, from first sketch to last stitch, in the duration of one nap (and surprise the hell out of my son.)
He had what one might call a spaz attack - running to the mirror, squealing with delight, and then demanding that I sing the Totoro theme while he jumped on the bed. He patently refused to take it off, only agreeing to lower the hood on rare (and often sweaty) moments. This is easily the most successful 45 minutes I've spent in some time. Maybe ever. Did I mention the squealing?

4 comments:

  1. Ridiculously adorable. Simple but amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I dont know if you get this message, but where did you buy that beautiful sweater of Totero? greetings from Norway;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog! I made that sweatshirt from a blank grey sweatshirt, some white felt and 2 black buttons. It was so easy!

    ReplyDelete