Thursday, December 2, 2010

Woven Scarf

I finished a scarf on my little vintage play loom and I'm so happy with how it turned out. I haven't woven anything in about 5 years and never a scarf. The weave makes it less bouncy than a knit scarf (just like woven fabric vs knits) but it lends it a certain elegance. It's unique too, and right up my mom's alley. I love handmade holiday giving, especially when the supplies came from my wonderful local yarn shop. Take that Joann!I used 3 different blue yarns to give the color a little dimension, a solid blue worsted weight wool, a wool tweed and a navy lace weight alpaca. I used all 3 in the warp, and used just the solid blue for the weft. I'm so glad I took the time, it would have looked pretty flat in one solid yarn. For any of you interested in weaving but not so interested in investing in a loom, there are many tutorials for DIY looms on the web. Or you could just put some nails into 2 bits of wood, clamp them to the ends of a long table and go to town.I'm pretty fired up about this, it's much quicker than knitting, which suits my current life situation, and it could be just the thing to help me burn through my excessive yarn stash. Also I'm thinking about making some shawl pins. Don't you think this scarf would be nice paired with an owl shawl pin?

No comments:

Post a Comment