Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Fairy Garden

The fairy garden or miniature garden is complete! It's installed in a defunct seedling box over at my parents' house. It's so sweet, a whole world I could happily get lost in for a few hours.

I'm so glad I took the time to make all the little mushroom picks and little birds. They add so much whimsy to the landscape, which is planted with lobelia and marigolds and sweet peas. I can't wait to watch how it matures over the Summer.

I also added a moss "lawn" and moss around the potting bench and gazebo and cobblestone pathways connecting them all. They add a nice contrast to the natural wildness of the plants. It makes it seem like some tiny person has landscaped this garden - not just like some grown woman put a bunch of doll furniture in a planter box. Ha!

Mostly, for me, it's all about the details. I loved painting and arranging all of the tiny flower pots. I loved adding the wee bundt cake under the bell jar - like some miniature tea party is imminent. I love having the scale gardening tools strewn about, like they've been recently used. It'll be so fun to tend to this world, and see how the plants grow and how the other bits are weathered. Maybe I'll even add to it if I find the right things. I do think a pond would be lovely!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this garden.. You did a fantastic job. I've been doing some experimenting in my yard (on the lake), i do not have grass. Some in the back yard. I think i'm getting carried away though. Oh well-- I just love this though and i'm going to keep doing mine. Keep up the good work and thank you so much for sharing. I think a pond would be just lovely.

    ReplyDelete